Things I Am Loving About This Summer:
1) Cold summer foods, like gazpacho, three-bean salad, and ice cream.
2) A strange abundance of fresh fruit (cherries, lots of citrus, delicious peaches).
3) Ragged denim miniskirts.
4) Languishing, sprawled across my bed in my overheated bedroom, half-clothed with book in hand.
5) Attending an evening class a la 1999.
6) New music for warm midnights.
Things I Am Hating About This Summer:
1) It is unpleasantly moist.
2) This apartment is a dump.
3) The swamp cooler is inefficient.
4) My camping plans keep falling through.
5) My travel plans keep falling through.
6) My favorite sno-cone place did not open.
What's your tally?
[Edit:] The lightbulb in my bathroom blew out this morning as I was brushing my teeth. The bathroom has no windows and is positioned in such a way that it does not receive light from any other section of the apartment — this place has the stupidest layout ever. (It used to be part of an “immigrant's home,” which in New Mexico is the early-1900s equivalent of a slave cabin.) As soon as the light blew out a roach (!) crawled complacently across the bathroom floor, and I skedaddled. I have been waiting for Michael to get home and change the bulb, because our household is all about gender-based division of labor. I have not brushed my hair or fully dressed or applied makeup, because these things require a mirror and it's more than my life is worth to go back into the dark bathroom.
Just now, an epiphany! I went into my bedroom to grab a book and realized that there is a mirror! In my bedroom! Where there is light! I am still a moron, but now I am a moron with tidy hair and a bra that doesn't show through my shirt. The fucking end.